Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 04-17-2009, 11:07 AM   #21
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal View Post
Keith. GLC has been kicking ass & taking names for quite some time now...especially during & after the Sinestro Corps war. Peter Tomasi has been doing a GREAT job on the title. I really enjoyed the interaction between Ion & his fellow Daxamites and am eager to see how Sinestro's dealings with his supposed daughter play out. Pick of the week for me too.
Yeah and the thing I have noticed is that it tends to feel less "contained" in this title... like Tomasi is playing in a bigger playground than Johns has elected to. I can see why it is that way considering that it is GL: Corps and not like the other book that follows Hal... just an observation I guess... I like it.

That's saying a lot for me too (that I like his writing) considering how big of a d*ck to me Tomasi was one year at WW Chicago when he was still an editor and I was an aspiring penciler...
Old 04-17-2009, 11:28 AM   #22
Primal
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdawg59 View Post
That's saying a lot for me too (that I like his writing) considering how big of a d*ck to me Tomasi was one year at WW Chicago when he was still an editor and I was an aspiring penciler...
Whoa! Sorry to hear about that.

Details please.
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:29 AM   #23
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdawg59 View Post
I guess the guy can write but can't appreciate great art! Those Catwoman pages you put up ROCKED!!!
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:35 PM   #24
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal View Post
Mighty Joe Young. Sorry to say but Cap has been on a downward trend in the past few months for me. Dont get me wrong, they have been good reads but not up to par with the Red Skull/Cap death stories. I find the title kinda dreary now and this latest issue didnt help but I'm still sticking with the title.
I agree with this statement and certainly see where you and protector are coming from which, actually, is reflected in my review of this issue. To me, this title has been a roller coaster ride up 'til and including Bucky's taking on Cap's mantle and the final big battle with The Red Skull. The Namor/Original Human Torch arc that followed wasn't nearly as strong, as much as I liked it, and this issue was a let down.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:35 PM   #25
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector View Post
I guess the guy can write but can't appreciate great art! Those Catwoman pages you put up ROCKED!!!
Perchance, oh mighty Dawg, could we get a glimpse of those Catwoman pages?
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:33 PM   #26
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Perchance, oh mighty Dawg, could we get a glimpse of those Catwoman pages?
I'll see if I can't find 'em (digitally) and post 'em back up...

O' Not much to tell... I was trying to get in to doing comics big time back then... I hit WW Chi-town one year and popped in to the DC review session and I had Tomasi as the reviewer. He did have some good things to say about my stuff... he liked the camera movement and the storytelling but then he went off on a 15 minute ego stroke about his current book he was editing (The Nail for all you historians) and how my work needed to look more like Alan Davis' and "I told Alan to draw this" and "I am that" and "you need to really look at the stuff WE are doing on the Nail and learn from that." By the end I decided I needed to just walk away... I learned everything I needed to about the JLA: the Nail that day... let me tell you...

well I went home and took some of what he said in-between stroking himself and worked out some kinks because I never back down from trying to improve... sent more pages to Marvel and DC and both companies wrote me letters wanting to see more with certain "tweaks"... by then man I needed a job so bad that I just never got back to it... years later... I took to sculpting instead as my comic outlet for creativity...
Old 04-17-2009, 03:58 PM   #27
thecallahan
THE HUGGERNAUT!!!

Dale is right about Rick being a violence magnet but he's only focusing on one aspect, the aftermath, not the cause. Everything Rick has done has been for the safety of everyone. If they hadn't left that area near Atlanta, then they surely would have been over-run by a hoard, there was nothing whatsoever defensible about the location. Then every place they've gone, all of his decisions have been sound and smart (barring a few things) but what tends to fail Rick is his hope and trust in the human spirit. I mean lets face it, he's met some down right nasty human beings that became worse once the zombie apocalypse happened.

Dale fails to see that these !%&!%&!%&!%&ty things would have happened no matter who made these decisions, he's only human and he's blaming it on the person in charge, you'll notice he hasn't mention how much Rick has sacrificed both physically and more importantly mentally. But that's also because Dale is human and has been strained so much over the past year or so of living hell, I don't blame the man at all and I love how Kirkman is bringing all these different viewpoints. What I expect to see from Dale now is sullenness, anger, passive-aggressiveness to Rick and always taking sides against Rick's suggestions regardless of how good they are.

Damn this book is so good!
thecallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:11 PM   #28
bat_collector
Galactus

Yup, I do'nt see the group as havign lasted much at all in Atlanta.

From the beginning everybody has wanted to just stay in one place and start some sort of new society, but there just isn't much ability to do that at all. Zombies and crazies are everywhere. But, they keep trying and thinking somehow a happy ending is gonna result.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:18 PM   #29
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse321 View Post
I think I'm going to try giving Uncanny X-Men a shot again.

THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT KEITH!!

I'm going to see if I can pick up Red Zone as well, I didn't know that Geoff did that.

Great reviews as usual guys!
He's an evil , evil man. A key reason I've just arranged to catch up from #500, though part of it is that (having just had to buy and read all of X-Force and Cable at short notice) I figure I should keep on top of all the big books now.

Well, all of them apart from Amazing Spidey...
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:56 PM   #30
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Thanks for the review of X-Men. I think I will pick this up in the trade. I stopped buying X-Men after that last crossover. I think it was Mesiah Complex or something like that.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote