Super Moderator

The Mighty Reviews 4/16/09

Sam Wilson’s Reviews

DMZ #41
DC/Vertigo Comics
Written by: Brian Wood
Drawn by: Nikki Cook
Cover by: John Paul Leon

To catch up those who haven’t checked out this book yet: our story opens five years into the second American Civil War. The conflict is between the United States of America and the “Free States”. According to the White House, these “Free States” Soldiers are “thugs and murderers”, and they are indiscriminate and uncivilized when it comes to warfare in civilian areas. New York City is divided, with the “Free States” controlling New Jersey and the inland, and they are amassing at the banks of the Hudson River. The United States of America has Brooklyn, Queens and Long Island and is well dug in on the coastline, with Manhattan Island caught in-between in the “DMZ”. The thing is, there are still people living on Manhattan Island, and even though there has been a formal ceasefire in effect, the reality of life there consists of looters, gangs, local militias, insurgents and contract killers. All a day in the life in the DMZ.

Enter rich white-kid Matthew Rose, he entered the DMZ as an intern to a world famous journalist and ended up becoming the voice of the people. Since Matthew has set foot in the DMZ, he has been used by both sides, made some friends (Zee, the former Med Student among them), and has established himself as a “name” person in the DMZ. He reports the truth, no matter how ugly, so most of the time he gets free reign, and has even become a celebrity of sorts. Latest up for Matty, he finds himself working for Parco Delgado, the newly elected President of the DMZ (and he has an uncanny resemblance to Sen Dawg from Cypress Hill). Also in the mix is Matty’s high-powered mom, who helped Parco get elected and now is a close personal advisor to him. Thus far in the current storyline, “War Power”, Parco Delgado’s presidency is tenuous to say the least, with Trustwell (think Blackwater) working on behalf of the US Government and ready to jump at the first sign of weakness on Parco’s part. Parco is pretty much fu$#ed because he needs to start rebuilding Manhattan, and to do that he is going to need a crap-load of money. Anyway, last we left things Parco got him some money in the form of some urban legend Chinatown gold. He uses that money (and Matty) to by himself a nuclear warhead. Matt uses the fact that he got used to make himself a player in Parco’s administration. This brings us to the current issue, #41. A standalone issue about Zee, Matty’s sometime girlfriend who finds herself tired of Parco Delgado, Matty, and the DMZ in general. She decides to take off and go as far away from it as she can (in the DMZ anyway). Meanwhile, Parco declaring all Trustwell mercenaries enemy combatants doesn’t bode well for the Trustwell cells who’ve scattered to the wind and find themselves without support. Zee gets herself involved with one of them, because her conscious forces her to and so begins another day in the DMZ…

If you are looking for something different and politically relevant, this book is for you. This issue is a pretty good jumping on point, but check out a few of the trades already out to get the backstory and I’m sure you won’t be disappointed.

Moon Knight #29
Marvel Comics
Written by: Mike Benson
Drawn by: Jefte Palo
Cover by: Gabrielle Del ‘Otto

Moon Knight, aka Mark Spector aka Jake Locley aka someone whom you don’t want to **** with if you are a bad guy. Born out of war, mercenary Mark Spector was beaten and left for dead and saved by the Egyptian Moon god to kick ass for him and fight evil. He’s has more than one series for Marvel Comics throughout the years, has been an Avenger (on the west coast anyway) and is now fighting on the side of the registration act. Well, not really. See, in superstar writer Mike Benson’s (HBO’s Entourage) first story arc Tony Stark tried to get him on board but Mark would rather beat the living **** out of drug dealers than have any part of Tony’s nonsense. Well, that and the ghost of the Bushman (an old enemy of his who just happens to be missing his face) is guiding Marks actions, encouraging him to, well, pound the crap out of people and maim them in nasty ways. Tony Stark tried his hardest to get Mark under control, but didn’t do such a good job so the powers that be decided to send in the Registration’s big guns. Well, their psychotic guns anyway with a bunch of sociopaths better known as the Thunderbolts. The T-bolts did their best and managed to kill Mark Spector. The only problem? Jake Lockley survived, and relocated to Mexico, and so it goes…

The new story arc, “Down South”, starts out pretty fu$#king bad-ass. Jake Lockley is alive and well (for those of you who don’t know, Jake Lockley was the NYC Cab Driver identity of Moon Knight, yes, same guy as Mark Spector) and living in Mexico, fighting in underground boughts to pay the bills. His skills earn him a rep, and soon a rich man whose daughter has been kidnapped asks him for help. By asking him I mean he offers him a ton of money to get his daughter back. Meanwhile, a mysterious man has Jake Lockley in his rifle sights, and well, okay he’s not so mysterious. His name is Frank Castle, aka the Punisher. All this and the Bushman is still talking to Jake, even though he takes an even stranger form than before in. Soon enough Jake learns the father has doesn’t want her daughter rescued as much as he wants her dead and out of the way (killing her seals an alliance with the Russian mob). Obviously Jake doesn’t want this to happen, so he takes the girl and runs. This prompts the rich guy to send a crapload of mercenaries after him, including two Lucha Libres (seriously, but yo, they are total bad-a**) who prove themselves to be the last men standing against Jake. Honestly though, the Punisher watching Jake’s back may have had something to do with that. This of course leads us to the present issue. As we saw last issue, The Lucha Libres, aka the Zapata brothers, burned their bridges with the rich guy but they still want Jake’s head on a pike, and they want a piece of the rich guy. Meanwhile, the Punisher takes out some Russian mobsters. The girl manages to get herself picked up by the Zapata brothers and Jake Lockley puts on the costume. Oh hell yes, it is all coming to a head next issue…

Hell ****ing yeah. Mike Benson is the man. Mike’s had Moon Knight for awhile now, and every issue has been nothing short of an ass kicking festival of bad assness. With the sharp, modern dialogue Mike Benson is known for from his television work (Entourage) David Mamet could dare write Moon Knight better (and I’m a huge Mamet fan). Moon Knight sort of going back to his mercenary roots, getting raw in Mexico with the Punisher in the mix? Hell yeah. So buy it already. Word. My pick of the week.

Kdawg’s Reviews

Green Lantern Corps #35
DC Comics
Written by: Peter Tomasi
Drawn by: Patrick Gleason

Geoff Johns has done an amazing job resurrecting Green Lantern. However, there is another book out there that is pretty damn good that has Green Lanterns in it. At the helm is a guy by the name of Peter Tomasi whom I think is a pretty decent writer. I enjoyed his Nightwing run and his GL Corps stuff is pretty damn good too from what I have read. With the “Blackest Night” event looming, I decided to pick this book up to review this week and see what was happening with all things Lantern and not Hal Jordan. I certainly was not disappointed and this book is my pick of the week.

So we start off with a riot on Oa, when a vicious Red Lantern busts out of his science cell and is doing battle with a Grizzly bear looking Green Lantern. In the background the captured Yellow Lanterns all cheer for the Red Lantern to demolish the Green. As they get their wish, they see that maybe it’s not all it’s cracked up to be as the Red then begins to tear through the Captured Sinestro cronies too.

Pretty much this is the point when all hell breaks loose and the rest of the GL Corps get involved as Kyle, Guy, and Kilowog lead the charge to restore order accompanied by every other experienced Corps member.

Meanwhile Sodam Yat and the Lovely Arisia travel to Daxam to try and save Sodam’s home planet from the iron fist of Mongul and the Sinestro Corps. Severely outnumbered and facing sure defeat, the two Green Lanterns use their brains to infiltrate the unknowing Sinestro army stationed there.

Arkillo: One of the Sinestro Corps angriest members is not feeling especially warm toward Mongul as the two battled last issue and had his tongue torn out by Mongul. He wears it around his neck as a reminder and woe is the creature to mention Mogul’s name in close enough proximity of Arkillo.

Somehow overcoming great odds the Arisia and Sodam are able to rescue the remaining Daxam people whom have not dropped to their own demise and Sodam chastises his father for not fighting and rather taking the easiest way out from tyranny by having his people kill themselves.

Meanwhile the real kicker this issue is taking place back on Sinestro’s home planet of Korugar where the GL Corps is trying to live down the sins of Sinestro’s past. There’s only one issue with trying to forget Sinestro’s past time spent ruling Korugar through fear… Sinestro is not dead yet and in fact he comes calling to pay a visit to his “dear” daughter… Soranik Natu…

Oh yes my friends, I think the fun is still yet to come…

Uncanny X-Men #508
Marvel Comics
Written by: Matt Fraction
Drawn by: Greg Land

I have to say that this is still THE X-Men book out there. I think the Legacy is pretty damn good under the helm of Mike Carey, but it’s not about the X-Men as a whole. I think that Astonishing X-Men has all but lost its luster for me and I will be dropping it any day now. X-Force is great, but it’s X-Force and follows a different path. This is still the X-Men. Sure, they have moved a world away to San Francisco, but somehow trouble seems to be able to find them wherever they go. There are more mutants in this book on a monthly basis than you can shake a stick at and so for me… all is good with this book.

Matt Fraction has proven himself to be quite capable at the reigns of this title and his rotating art duo of Terry Dodson and Greg Land have been doing a great job. I actually really look forward to this book every month now again and I can’t say this has been the case always.

We start out with Domino paying a visit to a gravesite owned by Wolverine in Tokyo. Logan has asked Domino to deliver some flowers to one of the graves for him. Domino thinks to herself how deep Wolvie really is when she figures out that the little cemetery is the final resting place of many people whom were close to Logan and meant something to him is his life. It’s actually a great scene and it is capped off when Domino is ambushed by the sisterhood of evil mutants on a mission to rob a particular grave. Domino does her best but the villains get away with what they came for: the body of Kwannon (Betsy Braddock’s real body for those whom remember that whole 90’s thing)

Meanwhile back in San Francisco the mutants go about their new existence and using their facilities as a haven to all mutants who wish to have a place to belong and feel protected.

Emma Frost takes to the role of teacher once more and Logan travels to Canada to recruit Northstar to come back to the X-Men. As pompous as ever, Northstar accepts Logan’s offer and everything is hunky dory in X-Land.

Just about the time there is a down moment for our merry mutants however, you just know that somewhere someone is plotting against them and we again see what the Sisterhood of Evil Mutants is up to under the leadership of the mysterious Red Queen. Apparently they have plans to put Betsy Braddock back in her old body using a very “Hand-like” ceremony. Methinks that this is how the regular Marvel Universe will get Psylocke back. I’m actually cool with it, as I have always liked Betsy regardless of the body she was in, so it’s great to have her back. I think the next few issues will be interesting in the land of the muties… I can’t wait.

Last edited by wktf; 04-16-2009 at 11:27 AM.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #2
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Wktf’s Reviews

Captain America #49
Marvel Comics
Written by: Ed Brubaker
Drawn by: Luke Ross
Cover by: Steve Epting

Well, they can’t all be winners. And, where Bru’s Captain America is concerned they certainly all feel like they are, especially when collected together. But, I think once I felt like Bru and company let me down on an issue of Cap. Sadly, this one feels like a letdown, too. Possibly because Marvel’s web site says, with this installment, “The most important issue of Captain America since issue 25 is finally here! “ Or, maybe because what does happen just doesn’t feel that important, even though there’s a definite teaser element in here toward what promises to be a larger story going forward. Poor Sharon Carter’s dreams are constantly haunted by her slaying of Captain America while under The Red Skull and Dr. Faustus’ mind control. Nine months later she simply can’t shake the horror of that night nor the guilt she feels that goes with it. In fact the majority of this issue focuses on Sharon, what she’s been up to and how she’s been coping, which hasn’t been very well. Her one contact in the world with which she still has some kind of relationship is Sam Wilson, The Falcon. One of my favorite characters in the entire Marvel Universe, its high time The Falcon’s made an appearance in this book again. While on the trail of the 1950’s Cap, who disappeared shortly after Bucky’s battle with him, he maintains contact with Sharon as she sorts through her life.

As her nights continue to torment her she visits her Aunt Peggy Carter who, when she was younger and in love with Captain America during WWII, was the spitting image of Sharon now. Poor Peggy is old and infirm now, and not quite in possession of her faculties. Yet another element of Sharon’s life that’s causing her sadness. But things do get worse for Sharon as one critical element of her recent past, one Cap readers know Dr. Faustus blocked her mind from remembering, comes crashing back into focus. The tip off was rather obvious and it does seem strange Sharon wouldn’t have noticed this for the past nine months. Unless Faustus’ hypnosis prevented her from seeing this, I suppose. Still, it feels like a bit of a stretch. The other vision she begins to see in her dream is far more interesting but, still, it feels like a contrived set up for the next big moment in this book.

I suppose Steve Epting is off this book now, with the exception of the covers, which I find disappointing. Luke Ross does a pretty serviceable job all the way around but it certainly looks like he’s aping Epting’s style. Plus, the way he draws Sharon crying makes her look like she spilled milk all over her face (I suppose colorist Frank D’Armata shares some of the blame for this). Regardless, I really miss Epting’s detailed and dynamic work and this book just isn’t as good without him. Brubaker always writes a great story and, while this one mostly lays track for story lines to come, this is probably about as strong an interlude issue as they come. But it is an interlude issue and, as such, feels a little unsatisfying. And, is it really the most important issue of Captain America since issue 25? Well, even with Sharon’s new visions, it doesn’t feel that way to me.

Secret Invasion Aftermath: Beta Ray Bill – The Green of Eden #1
Marvel Comics
Written by: Kieron Gillen
Drawn by: Daniel Brereton
Cover by: Marko Djurdjevic

What is it about poor Beta Ray Bill that no one other than his creator, Walt Simonson, seems to be able to write him a good story? Is he that difficult a character to write? His mini-series a couple of years back was atrocious and even Matt Fraction, who penned Secret Invasion: Thor, really didn’t make much use of the character other than having his capture by the Skrulls act as a plot device. Sadly, with this one-shot, Kieron Gillen proves that he’s really not up to the task either. The story is convoluted, poorly drawn and narrated in a most confusing way. If you want to learn more about it, even after this intro, keep reading. Otherwise, just skip to the next review at this point.

Yes, Secret Invasion has ended and, following Beta Ray Bill’s mostly unexplained victimization by The Skrulls and his subsequent teaming with Thor to drive them from Asgard, we saw Bill leaving Earth for the reaches of space. And, in the vastness of space, of all the creatures out there for Bill to encounter, who should he meet but…yes, more Skrulls. And peaceful Skrulls, at that. Skrulls looking for a new god to worship. But wait, these peaceful Skrull’s are being hunted down by more typical, war-like Skrulls. Bill who, rightfully so, has had his fill of Skrulls (like we haven’t?) is caught in the middle. And, while it was a Super Skrull that defeated him prior to the Secret Invasion, the war-like Skrulls send a new (and patently absurd looking) new Super Skrull after Bill once again. In defense of his new worshippers, Bill is ignominiously manhandled by this Super Skrull (who, based on his composite construction, shouldn’t even be anywhere near Bill’s strength class) before finally winning the day. But, seriously, I wouldn’t even have finished this book if I weren’t doing so to write this review. If you haven’t bought this book yet, please don’t bother.

Marvel promises a new Beta Ray Bill one shot in June. For me, I think I’ll just go back to my Thor Visionaries: Walt Simonson trades for a more satisfying and cleansing dose of Beta Ray Bill. Sorry, Walt, your fine character seems to get no respect anymore.

Sub-Mariner Comics 70th Anniversary Special #1
Marvel Comics
Written by: Roy Thomas, Mark Schultz and Bill Everett
Drawn by: Mitch Breitweiser, Al Williamson and Bill Everett
Cover by: Mitch Breitweiser
Variant cover by: Marcos Martin

This comic is the second of a series of celebratory specials commemorating Marvel’s 70th Anniversary. The first, a tribute to Captain America, came out just a couple of weeks ago and was really a fine story about Steve Rogrers’ pre-Captain America days. This issue, about Prince Namor The Sub-Mariner, is a second fine story in this series that also takes us back to the days of WWII. As an added bonus, the lead story is scripted by none other than Roy Thomas who gave us several years of great Sub-Mariner stories from the late 1960s through the 1970s. Thomas certainly knows the character and also is a scholar of this era in comics. In this story we see a young Namor save an American vessel from being destroyed by a Nazi U-boat but, much to the confusion of his lone surface friend, policewoman Betty Dean, he doesn’t turn the U-boat’s torpedo back on the Nazis. Holding general disdain toward all surface dwellers, The Sub-Mariner is not convinced he should choose sides at all in this war of the surface worldand allows an alluring female Nazi to attempt swaying him to join the Axis powers. Things certainly do look tense for a while but, of course, knowing both Thomas and Namor’s history in the war, we can guess how this encounter will turn out. Still, the dialogue between Namor and his seducer offers its own tension and uncertainty, and it’s really wonderful the way Thomas shows Namor analyzing what he’s told and, in the end, acting as only the hot headed but incredibly powerful Sub-Mariner would.

Follow this lead story is a second never-before-seen Namor story by Mark Schultz and Al Williamson, where Namor once again faces the Nazis and, once again, the influence of a strong female character comes at a critical inflection point in the story. In addition, this issue reprints Namor’s first appearance from 1939’s Marvel Comics #1 wherein we see Namor’s first encounter with the surface dwellers, learn of The Sub-Mariner’s origin and also get a glimpse into the genesis of his hatred of the surface world. Namor’s always been one of the most important characters in the Marvel Universe who, at least over the last few decades, has rarely rated better than a key guest starring appearance. Many I know consider the character a bit one dimensional and boring. I personally always liked this character. Almost more than any other Marvel superhero, with the exception possibly of The Hulk, Namor truly is alone. Sure, he rules Atlantis, but his ties to his people seem nebulous at best to us readers as we mostly see him interacting with our other heroes. The combination of his royal station, super strength, winged feet and fiery temperament to me always made him seem interesting, rather than one dimensional. And Roy Thomas, in particular, knows how to explore the depths of his character to give us a Namor who both can strike with devastating speed, strength and effect while also feeling remorse at his actions. This book is my pick of the week.

Bat_Collector’s Review

The Walking Dead #60
Image Comics
Written by Robert Kirkman
Art by Charlie Adlard

Sixty issues of The Walking Dead have passed, and few have had the sense of urgency and suspense as this one! When we last left Rick, Abraham, Morgan, and Carl, they had just crashed into a middle of a herd of zombies. While the zombies of Kirkman's world are slow and can be maneuvered around, a crowd of a few hundred zombies will eventually get the best of you. This issue starts with our heroes on the run, desperately trying to find a quick solution on the fly on how to both escape the flesh-hungry herd and NOT lead them right to their friends. Can Rick and Co escape the HERD on foot? Will the classic temptation of running to the house in the middle of nowhere cost them? Can they warn their friends in time of this coming danger? The zombies had taken a back seat to the villainous Governor in the previous issues, but there is no denying they aren't a supreme threat not to be taken too lightly!

But wait! Don't think there isn't time for character development! Meanwhile, back at the ranch (literally), our other group of survivors are going through their own issues. Some feel they might have found a new home at the ranch (what! haven't they learned that isn't possible by now!), others have gotten insights on life after death, and someone has even turned into a cat killer! PETA would NOT approve!

But, even with the character development, the issue is not dragged down by it. This issue starts and ends with a race for survival, and as he usually does, Kirkman leaves us wondering what lies next for our group of survivors on the run! Next issue brings a religious man in the mix, while teasers promise what could be the most terrifying arc next starting with issue 62!

The Mighty Trade Reviews

For the first time in a while, we’ve got a double dose of trade reviews for you!

Sam Wilson’s Trade Review

Punisher War Zone HC
Marvel Knights
Written by: Garth Ennis
Drawn by: Steve Dillon
Variant Cover: Steve Dillon (way cooler than the retail cover)

Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon, to a legion of fans they are the peanut butter and chocolate of comic books. I first became a fan of theirs with their run on Vertigo’s “Hellblazer”, and of course I became a die-hard worshiper with their legendary title “Preacher”. Probably the smartest thing Marvel Comics ever did during the Bill Hemas reign, Axel Alonso, new editor at Marvel Knights, brought Garth and Steve in (as he did for Vertigo) to bring the Punisher back to his ‘80’s prominence, and bring him back they did with “Welcome Back Frank”, a mad storyline for the ages where Garth showed Frank Castle for who is us, an unrelenting stone cold killer who truly gives a flying rats fu$# about anything other than his war to punish the guilty. And punish the guilty he did, making a lifelong adversary of mob boss Ma Gnucci. Yeah, under Garth’s pen Frank made her a paraplegic and bald (hey, he did Herr Starr worse) and now she’s back for one last hurrah to pay Frank back for what he did to her. Somehow I don’t think that’s going to happen and Frank is going to fu$# her up even worse and kill a sh$#load of people doing it, but hey, with Garth and Steve running the show I’m in.

“War Zone” starts in typical Ennis fashion, a low level goodfella is about to get whacked because he let the bosses son get his c**k ripped off by an escaped monkey at the zoo and then eaten by a vulture (no, seriously). Frank Castle saves the poor sap from execution via shotgun to turn the guy into his personal inside man in La Costa Nostra. Frank isn’t happy because he has heard rumors of a Gnucci family resurgence; apparently they have an Italian side that wants to make their name in the US. Yes, last we saw Ma Gnucci Frank had killed all her men and allowed her to be rendered limbless by a giant grizzly and then burnt alive in her own house. Meanwhile, Lt. Von Richthoffen (superhot lesbian), previously assigned to bring in Frank Castle, finds herself unlucky in love and possibly loosing her mind. It only guess worse when her sometime lover, who has a boyfriend, finds all of her potential suitors being the victims of a viscous scorned-lover ass whuppin. Meanwhile, “the Elite” (vigilante crazy from the first Ennis Punisher series, whom Frank Killed) has a kid, and he dreams of killing Frank. As our story continues Frank Kills a sh$#load of mob guys at a cookout, Lt. Von Richthoffen (possibly one of my favorite Ennis characters ever) shows how much of a psychotic, possessive bad ass she is (the random scenes with her girlfriend and her boyfriend are priceless) and Ma Gnucci is probably a clone, made by that “Elite” guy who has a serious revenge issue with Frank that will probably be his undoing. The story comes to a close with Frank and Lt. Von Richthoffen holed up and surrounded by a sh**-ton of mob guys and the Elite, getting ready to go down in total John Woo fashion. And yeah, holy sh*t, they do. Frank and his newfound warrior bi**-queen (you really need to read the last few pages to understand that comment) blow the fu** out of a ton of people. Word.

Classic Ennis, and I’m damn happy with that. Quirky (and fairly twisted) supporting characters, extreme sadism and Frank freakin’ Castle with a big ass shotgun. What more could you possible want? Buy this book, now conveniently available in hardcover form.

Wktf’s Trade Review

The Avengers: Red Zone
Marvel Comics
Written by: Geoff Johns
Drawn by: Olivier Coipel with Ivan Reis

My recent read and review of the two Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps War volumes sent me back to my library for some more Geoff Johns trades and when I rediscovered this one I pulled it off the shelf immediately. I remember how much I loved this storyline when I first read it in its monthly comic book installments back in 2003, thinking “this is what an Avengers story should be about.” Reading it again I’ve gained a renewed appreciation for this story, for Johns’ storytelling and scripting and, as if I needed it after his recent wonderful work on Thor, for Coipel’s stunning artwork.

This trade begins with a deceptive Falcon one-shot story, penciled by Ivan Reis. I say it’s deceptive as it seems mostly to be a one-off story about The Falcon, his history and what drives him, as well as about his strained relationship with The Avengers’ UN liaison, Henry Gyrich. The tension between Falcon and Gyrich goes as far back as 1979’s Avengers #181 when Gyrich pushed The Falcon, as a means to force some ethnic diversity, onto the team. With this one installment the tension between these two characters is nicely played out to where they develop an understanding that, later in this trade, leads to some interesting teamwork as well as a key moment of crisis toward the trade’s conclusion. The core crisis of this tale begins with the very next issue, or chapter. A huge red cloud emanates from Mt. Rushmore, in South Dakota, which turns out to contain a flesh eating bacteria that delivers a ghastly death in moments, striking down hundreds at first and then thousands. No sooner does this biohazard strike than The Avengers are on the scene. This team consists of Captain America in his familiar post as team leader, The Falcon, The Wasp, Scarlet Witch, Vision, Jack of Hearts, Ant-Man (the now-deceased Scott Lang), She-Hulk, Warbird (Ms. Marvel again, today), Iron Man and Black Panther.

Written in a post-9/11 world, this deadly chemical attack can only appear to be a terrorist act. But by whom? Likely suspects, it turns out, are nowhere near the truth. And The Avengers must work to rescue the thousands of victims, work with the Army and Park Rangers to contain the disaster, while also venturing into the heart of the contagion and seek to determine, and bring to justice, the perpetrator. All the while our team is under fire by Secretary of State Dell Rusk who seems bent on persecuting this team even to the point of trying to use Gyrich to spy on their activities. The danger is literally all around The Avengers as they deal with Rusk, the contagion, and their own inter-team dynamics, all at the same time. Coipel’s art is just fantastic here, and the sheer terror and claustrophobia this group of heroes feels as they don hazmat suits and walk into the thick, dark heart of the red mist is genuinely nerve wracking. Johns proves, yet again, how truly talented a writer he is lending individual voices to this huge cast of characters, as he’s done so effectively more recently at DC with JSA, while creating interesting tensions among his cast. Examples of interpersonal tensions include those between Jack of Hearts and Ant-Man, Iron Man and Black Panther and, of course, The Falcon and Gyrich. The Scarlet Witch’s support of The Vision’s conflicted feelings during this crisis also is truly touching, especially with Avengers Disassembled in hindsight. When I first read the the big villain reveal it caught me completely off guard in a great storytelling satisfying way, even though a few key signs to his identity most definitely were there, and Johns’ use of this villain and the final conflict with him, not with the hero you’d expect but with the hero that makes the most perfect sense, is absolutely riveting.

Yes, this most definitely is what an Avengers story should be all about. Captain America is the awe inspiring undisputed leader that he is. This team of diverse heroes can’t help but result in brutal tensions but also come together when they absolutely have to do so. Avengers: Red Zone has some wonderful, absolutely spot-on character moments and pent up, broiling angry battle scenes…especially the final one which is absolutely jaw-dropping and bone crunching. As an added bonus, there’s also a pivotal historic moment here: the first time the She-Hulk “Hulks Out” and nearly destroys The Vision. Most people remember her doing this in Avengers Disassembled but this story is where it happened first. In the end, I absolutely loved this trade. Collecting Avengers Volume 3, issues 64-70, this one has to be among my most favorite Avengers stories. For story, scripting and art, I simply cannot recommend it enough.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
bat_collector
Galactus

Thanks for including my Walking Dead review, WKTF!
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector View Post
Thanks for including my Walking Dead review, WKTF!
Always a pleasure, b_c!
Old 04-16-2009, 11:28 AM   #5
bat_collector
Galactus

You make me want to pick up the Red Zone trade, joe!

Ivan Reis rocks, so I'd love to see his one shot issue.

Last edited by wktf; 04-16-2009 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Corrected the Avengers' trade title.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:44 AM   #6
Jesse321
Galactus

I think I'm going to try giving Uncanny X-Men a shot again.

THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT KEITH!!

I'm going to see if I can pick up Red Zone as well, I didn't know that Geoff did that.

Great reviews as usual guys!
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:52 AM   #7
THECLOWN KNIGHT
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

X-Men Legacy has been great.

Mike Carey is attaching things in the history of the X-Men with the Professor X path for amends.

I'm very excited to see how Carey finish the Rogue Story being a Gambit & Rogue Fan.
THECLOWN KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:33 PM   #8
Makkari1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Wktf’s Reviews

Secret Invasion Aftermath: Beta Ray Bill – The Green of Eden #1
Marvel Comics
Written by: Kieron Gillen
Drawn by: Daniel Brereton
Cover by: Marko Djurdjevic

What is it about poor Beta Ray Bill that no one other than his creator, Walt Simonson, seems to be able to write him a good story? Is he that difficult a character to write? His mini-series a couple of years back was atrocious and even Matt Fraction, who penned Secret Invasion: Thor, really didn’t make much use of the character other than having his capture by the Skrulls act as a plot device. Sadly, with this one-shot, Kieron Gillen proves that he’s really not up to the task either. The story is convoluted, poorly drawn and narrated in a most confusing way. If you want to learn more about it, even after this intro, keep reading. Otherwise, just skip to the next review at this point.

Yes, Secret Invasion has ended and, following Beta Ray Bill’s mostly unexplained victimization by The Skrulls and his subsequent teaming with Thor to drive them from Asgard, we saw Bill leaving Earth for the reaches of space. And, in the vastness of space, of all the creatures out there for Bill to encounter, who should he meet but…yes, more Skrulls. And peaceful Skrulls, at that. Skrulls looking for a new god to worship. But wait, these peaceful Skrull’s are being hunted down by more typical, war-like Skrulls. Bill who, rightfully so, has had his fill of Skrulls (like we haven’t?) is caught in the middle. And, while it was a Super Skrull that defeated him prior to the Secret Invasion, the war-like Skrulls send a new (and patently absurd looking) new Super Skrull after Bill once again. In defense of his new worshippers, Bill is ignominiously manhandled by this Super Skrull (who, based on his composite construction, shouldn’t even be anywhere near Bill’s strength class) before finally winning the day. But, seriously, I wouldn’t even have finished this book if I weren’t doing so to write this review. If you haven’t bought this book yet, please don’t bother.

Marvel promises a new Beta Ray Bill one shot in June. For me, I think I’ll just go back to my Thor Visionaries: Walt Simonson trades for a more satisfying and cleansing dose of Beta Ray Bill. Sorry, Walt, your fine character seems to get no respect anymore.
I agree, no one but Walt seems to know how to use Bill. Since Walt left every Beta Ray Bill story sucked excepted maybe the Stardust series. Writers just don't have a clue. You are right about this book as well the art is horrible and once again the writer hasn't a clue how to use Bill.
Makkari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:34 PM   #9
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse321 View Post
I think I'm going to try giving Uncanny X-Men a shot again.

THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT KEITH!!
:
Wasn't me Seriously though... it's been so much better lately and it's at least worth checking out.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #10
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by THECLOWN KNIGHT View Post
X-Men Legacy has been great.

Mike Carey is attaching things in the history of the X-Men with the Professor X path for amends.

I'm very excited to see how Carey finish the Rogue Story being a Gambit & Rogue Fan.
I will definitely give Carey the edge over Fraction as far as his X-Characterization... and I have been loving Legacy...

But Uncanny for me has always been the "real" X-Men book where everything SHOULD happen the most.