Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 03-25-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
Muraco78
Frackin!

Mold Making questions...

Hello - I'd like to make some molds of the figurines I made in the photo below. They are each about 8.5 inches high. Should I make a 2-part mold, or just place the figurine in a container and pour the liquid in (1-piece mold). I tried making a 2-part mold recently, and the first half came out ok, but there are small liquid "pockets" in the mold where it obviously didn't dry. They are underneath a small "sheath" of the rubber which did dry ok. Did I not mix it well enough? I used Silicone RTV (the 1 to 1 ratio mix).I had left it overnight and the majority was fine when I removed it. The figurine removed fine. Thanks very much for any responses.

Muraco78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
Alaneye
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Yeah, it sounds like you didn't mix it thoroughly enough. Some RTV Silicones come with a coloured catalyst so you can tell how well you have mixed it in.

Two part mould is one way but a bit more time consuming.

Here is a youtube video showing out to mould a piece similar to the ones you want to do in a single part mould.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pEgH...2C1B280F377651

The video is advertising a particular brand of silicone and resin, but the principle is the same for which ever brand you use. Hope it helps.

Al
Alaneye is offline   Reply With Quote