Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 04-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
Thom McCarty
Doh!

A good Armature?

I'm going to be making a Sonic the Hedgehog statue for a friend of mine, and was wondering on how to go about making the armature for it. For the majority, I will be using various gauge wire, but my concern is with the head and bodu.

I want to use something light weight that I can place for the head and body, and then cover with a thin layer of Super Sculpey/Sculpey Firm (50/50 mix). My first thought was the styrofoam spheres from Michaels, but I don't want to risk the SS cracking and leaking our the toxic fumes, since I will be using my kitchen oven.

The method that keeps turning up is using aluminum foil to build it out. I was just wondering if there would be an alternate way that wouldn't require a mile of foil.

The statue will be approximately 12 tall.

Any and all advice is welcome.
Thom McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
Spazzy
Hercules

foil is good, but I wouldn't use your kitchen oven if you plan to reuse it for food, big no no!

I found that boiling the sculpey is pretty awesome to do, I have yet to see any cracks, and it doesn't have that smell an oven gives off when baking. I got a $25 steamer from walmart and it works perfect it is by presto I believe.
Spazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
Thom McCarty
Doh!

Thanks

So, you can't use Sculpey in your oven even though it says on the box that it is non toxic and you can?

Oh well. So, I will research more on the boiling method. What size is your steamer? I plan on doing some rather large pieces in the future, possibly 2 to 3 ft in height. Any ideas on those, cause I don't think a Wal Mart steamer will be big enough for that.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:20 PM   #4
jedideni
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Quote:
My first thought was the styrofoam spheres from Michaels, but I don't want to risk the SS cracking and leaking our the toxic fumes, since I will be using my kitchen oven.
The styrofoam is THE major concern there. It will melt, possibly ignite and gas off toxic fumes, so that's not an option.

Word to the wise. Fires and toxic fumes would not be good.

Dennis
jedideni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
Thom McCarty
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedideni View Post
The styrofoam is THE major concern there. It will melt, possibly ignite and gas off toxic fumes, so that's not an option.

Word to the wise. Fires and toxic fumes would not be good.

Dennis
Which is exactly why I'm not using the styrofoam. Thank you for the concern though.

How about this, If I were to get a heat gun and cure the statue by hand, do you think this would keep the styrofoam at a safer temp?

I realize this would take a very long time and I'm ok with that. The think is, the styrofoam balls is the perfect thing for this, and I would love to use it, just as long as I can do so safely.

If not, then I may have to go with the boiling method.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:04 AM   #6
jedideni
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

How comfortable are with using something like AVES ApoxieSculpt? It wouldn't affect the foam ball and you could sculpt the entire thing with it or at least cover the foam ball with a layer of AVES and then go to town with the Sculpey. The AVES -I would image-would give you a layer of protection from melting the foam during the heat gun baking.

Just an idea.
jedideni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #7
Thom McCarty
Doh!

Do you know where I could get some AVES Apoxie?

I think I may just whip up a small piece of SS with a styrofoam interior and hit it with a heat gun outside with my respirator on, and see what happens. I'll let you know my results.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #8
Spazzy
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom McCarty View Post
So, you can't use Sculpey in your oven even though it says on the box that it is non toxic and you can?

Oh well. So, I will research more on the boiling method. What size is your steamer? I plan on doing some rather large pieces in the future, possibly 2 to 3 ft in height. Any ideas on those, cause I don't think a Wal Mart steamer will be big enough for that.

Thanks for the advice.
Well if you are doing larger pieces, you may def. need an oven that is specifically for baking clay, or a really big pot to boil it in, you can also cut it up once done to cure it and mend it back together with aves. The steamer is big but not for 2-3 foot pieces probably unless it is cut up, I am making 1/4 scale pieces and for the most part it works.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:46 AM   #9
Spazzy
Hercules

Quote:
Which is exactly why I'm not using the styrofoam. Thank you for the concern though.

How about this, If I were to get a heat gun and cure the statue by hand, do you think this would keep the styrofoam at a safer temp?

I realize this would take a very long time and I'm ok with that. The think is, the styrofoam balls is the perfect thing for this, and I would love to use it, just as long as I can do so safely.

If not, then I may have to go with the boiling method.
a very long time, 10/15 min each area depending o nthickness.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:48 AM   #10
Spazzy
Hercules

Quote:
Do you know where I could get some AVES Apoxie?

I think I may just whip up a small piece of SS with a styrofoam interior and hit it with a heat gun outside with my respirator on, and see what happens. I'll let you know my results.
www.avesstudio.com
I haven't used them yet but I bought a sample of all their clays/epoxy putty and pastes to test them out, only cost about $40 to try them all. I hear really good things about their products.