Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 03-27-2009, 11:20 AM   #1
cblakey1
Cyclops

What do you all think of Netbooks?

http://www.switched.com/2009/03/19/w...-is-for-you%2F

I've seen 'em at Best Buy and Costco and they seem like something I'd be into for the portability, price and basic tasks like email and reading comics, but I just can't get over the small screen.

Anyone have one that could render an opinion?
cblakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:05 PM   #2
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

meh to small for me, since i love my macbook pro 15inch to do all that and graphic work on the go if i need to visit a client.

great price tho for kids in high school or middle school when you want to limit their usage and lock them out of stuff.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:39 PM   #3
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post
meh to small for me, since i love my macbook pro 15inch to do all that and graphic work on the go if i need to visit a client.

great price tho for kids in high school or middle school when you want to limit their usage and lock them out of stuff.
Damn, I hope my wife doesn't read this. Thanks alot man.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post

Me too, I think.

My wife uses my 17" WS entertainment PC so I went looking for one for me. I saw Best Buy had a 16" one on sale and went to check it out. After seeing it I thought even that screen was too small for my liking.

I just thought the Netbook would be cool for like, taking on trips or using while I'm hanging around in bed or in front of the TV without the constraints of a workstation.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:19 PM   #5
dr_teng

They're fantastic for travel. I got to use the one my friend bought, and between carrying an slr/other crap I drag all over the place, it's certainly a decent convenience.

I'll probably stick with a traditional 15" since I do a ton of photo editing on the go. But if I wasn't doing that, it'd be a netbook for sure.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:21 PM   #6
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_teng View Post
They're fantastic for travel. I got to use the one my friend bought, and between carrying an slr/other crap I drag all over the place, it's certainly a decent convenience.

I'll probably stick with a traditional 15" since I do a ton of photo editing on the go. But if I wasn't doing that, it'd be a netbook for sure.
Sounds like a good endorsement.

Plus the solid state hard drive must make it a bit faster, huh?
Old 03-27-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
dr_teng

A little bit, apparently, though depending on what netbook you get, you might want one a little bit slower but with a much larger hard drive. I'm pretty sure you can get them with 160gb drives.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:17 PM   #8
LoD
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

i agree that they're mainly good for traveling and for doing a little work. dell had a sale for its mini at $99 when you purchase a new laptop, since i needed a new laptop it wasn't a bad deal.

bring/use it when i go to the park or mall with my kids.
LoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:35 PM   #9
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

personally i would spend the extra cash for a 13-inch MacBook. Not only do you get the basic net/email stuff, its small, can dual boot to windows for games and a decent piece of hardware for a bunch of stuff. Plus i am sure it will last a lot longer then a net book.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #10
LoD
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

i was walking thru the apple store this past week, i'm seriously considering getting a macbook. problem was it was like a 3 hour wait to talk to one of their sales rep.
LoD is offline   Reply With Quote