Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > What If?

Old 11-14-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
Zombie
The unstoppable force has met the unmovable object

How Do These Powers Work Exactly?

so Zombie gets how a lot of the powers theoretically work. theoretically these make sense, Lazar beams, teleportation, super speed, super strength, etc.

even things like the IG and Cosmic Cube make comic book sense.

but Zombie doesnt understand telepathy and flight....

how exactly does one read someone else mind? does the brain send out some sorta signal that a telepath can understand? and what exactly causes someone to fly? do they use magnetix in order to float them self?

just stuff Zombie was pondering....lol
Zombie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
MrYac
Hercules

mind reading is a hell of a lot more realisitc then lazer eyes or teleporting, the body is like a machine and puts out different wavelengths like a radio, a telepath can just tap into these waves
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
Dan_Lebou
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Flight depends a lot on the person. Jean Grey carries herself telekinetically, magneto rides magnetic waves, Angel obviously has wings, Thor throws his hammer and holds on for the ride, rogue got hers from Ms Marvel whose powers were alien based I think... flight is often a side effect of some other power.
Dan_Lebou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:34 PM   #4
michaelgloch
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

flight is all about focusing your katra so that gravity no longer notices you.
michaelgloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
Roguewarrior
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

I have always seen mind-reading as an extrasensory type thing, let me explain. I have seen it as being able to read the electrical patterns of the brain. Ive only considered comic book panels like the ones with Prof. X in the brain of some joe as artist interpretations. When actually what is going on is Prof X recognizing what a particular electrical pattern would be like. This, to me, would require some familiarity with a brain. Events like Prof. X reading a mind that he has never read before would have to take time to interpret the patterns that he sees. Prof. X is just good enough that he can manipulate those patterns to do what he wants with them. I guess I liken it to learning a new language, but doing it very fast.
Roguewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:52 PM   #6
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

Telepathy:

To understand telepathy it is first important to first reflect on thought, as well as distinguish between the mind and the physical brain.

Thought doesn't originate within the physical brain anymore than a radio creates the music it plays. Instead the brain acts as an interface between our mental aspect and the physical world. Through the brain we are able to interact with the physical world. Again going back to my radio analogy, there exists a link between an individual mind and an individual physical brain. With training or natural ability it becomes possible to extend the distance between mind and brain. If we extend far enough, we are able to form temporary connections with the brains of others. Not only does this allow for telepathic communication, but depending on the strength of the link and brain-mind distance also forms the basis of such abilities as clairvoyance, remote viewing, retrocognition even possession and mind control.

Flight:

For those characters who are able to fly without the benefit of wings or visible signs of propulsion it is most commonly said to involve some form of gravity or density control.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote